This is a content holder for the one button emergency notification system.

Student Crisis Information

CALL 911 to report an emergency or life-threatening situation.   


For non-emergencies, call Bridgewater State University Police at 508.531.1212.
View BSU Police Emergency Procedures

When a student is in crisis or feeling overwhelmed, Bridgewater offers resources and supports to help manage through difficult situations. Whether the issue is related to a student’s health, welfare, mental health, physical safety, financial insecurity or another concern, our CARE (Crisis - Assessment - Referral - Evaluation) Team and other BSU professionals are here to help.

Students, their families, faculty, librarians and staff are encouraged to review the resources below for assisting a student in a crisis situation.

Student Crisis Resources

Additional Crisis Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Suicide Prevention

If you can’t be sure that yourself, or the person in distress, can keep themselves safe from serious harm then calling 911 is the right move. It is better to call and seek guidance and assistance than to wonder about whether you did enough.

Anyone who is depressed, going through a hard time, needs to talk, or is thinking about suicide can call or text the 988 lifeline to talk or text chat. The lifeline counselors are here to listen and support you through whatever difficult times you may be facing.
Possibly, but only if it’s necessary. If you call the BSU after hours service, and the clinician on the phone determines that the person of concern is in imminent danger, then the police will be contacted to facilitate transport to the nearest hospital (Brockton Hospital if you’re on campus). The national suicide hotline has a similar protocol, designed to keep people safe when they’re feeling suicidal.
No. The police assist with every mental health emergency on campus and are highly trained to respond to mental health calls. They arrive on scene to assess the situation and to make sure that the person of concern is safely transported to a facility where care can be delivered. If the police assess a situation and find that transport is not necessary, they collaborate with the BSU Wellness Center to make sure that students are seen to follow up with their mental health crisis. In all of these cases the police are happy to assist as part of their commitment to community policing.

There are many ways to get involved. For example:

  • Learn how to have productive conversations about mental health with our Kognito mental health training module, available to all BSU students and employees.
  • Join the student group Active Minds, who focus on mental health advocacy.
  • Take Professor Hoke’s PSYC350 Mental Health Advocacy course.
  • Join the Wellness Center in our various programs, including National Suicide Awareness Month (Fall), Movies for Mental Health (Fall), and our annual Out of the Darkness walk to support suicide prevention (Spring).

Overdose Prevention

In areas other than approved or licensed locations, all persons are prohibited from being present where there are alcoholic beverage containers, whether those containers are full, partially full or empty. Except for employment or other permissive purposes, students under the age of 21 may not be in the presence of alcohol or alcohol containers. Please see the full Alcohol Policy.
When a student aids an intoxicated or impaired individual by contacting the Bridgewater State University Police or Residence Life and Housing staff, it is up to the discretion of the Director of Community Standards, or designee, to determine if any involved parties, student organizations the Community Standards process.  This does not preclude action regarding other violations of University standards such as causing or threatening physical harm, damage to property, harassment, hazing, or violations of the Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy.
No, the campus does not currently host an AA meeting. For a listing of AA meetings close to campus please visit the Bridgewater Alcoholics Anonymous.
The BSU Police offer a training on the use of the opioid antagonist Naloxone (Narcan). For more information please contact Detective Sargent McAvoy of the BSUPD.
Narcan can be found in a “Naloxbox” can be found near the info desk of the RSU and inside most residence hall AED unit boxes.

Sexual Assault

Please review the “confidentiality and reporting” section of the EO/Title IX website. If you want to speak to someone on campus about a sexual assault before you know whether you’ll report, please make sure to reach out to one of our campus ‘confidential’ supports (Wellness/SVAS).
Confidential support can be found with the clinical staff at the Wellness Center and the staff of the Sexual Violence Advocacy and Support (SVAS) Center.
Please review the “preserving evidence” page at the EO/Title IX website to learn how best to proceed immediately after an assault. Please remember that you are not alone and BSU has many resources to assist you through this difficult time.

Domestic Abuse

There are many resources available to help you. We recommend that you first address your safety and the safety of any vulnerable populations involved (minors, elderly). Please contact your local police department or the BSU Police department to learn more about legal interventions. For shelters and other resources please check out this list of resources by county.
Yes, there are several ways to get assistance. You can seek a consultation at the SVAS center, the BSU Wellness Center or with our BSU Police. Relationship violence can occur even when you don’t live together and we’re here to support you in finding safety.

Emergency Housing

Yes. There are several options that may be available to you depending on your situation. The first move would be to contact Eileen Estudante, our single point of contact on Housing Insecurity, and set up a time to discuss your concern.
BSU can sometimes assist students with our Student Emergency Fund when there are no other viable options. We can also help students, or the family they are living with, get in contact with winter fuel assistance through state supported programs. Contact MA LIHEAP for more info.
The office of Residence Life and Housing would be happy to work with you to see whether this is an option that would make sense.


If you have concerns about a student's behavior or life experiences that do not necessitate and immediate response, you may submit a referral to the CARE Team. For immediate emergencies, contact University Police by call 911 from a campus phone or 508.531.1212.

Make a referral by:

The CARE Team will evaluate the referral and determine the appropriate response. The CARE Team will also notify other university officials as warranted.

BSU Student Resources

At BSU, we understand the impact that stressors outside of the classroom can have on your student success. We also understand the significant cost of higher education and the overall impact attending college can have on your availability to work and cover the basics. We have compiled the following resources that may help ease the struggle and set you up for success.

*BSU login required.

How to Talk to Students

student talks


It’s often a relief to students to know that people at the university notice and care.
  • Broach the subject in a caring, supportive way
  • Clearly express your concerns in non-disparaging non-confrontational terms.
  • Remind the student of their personal responsibility as a member of the community
  • Respect the student’s privacy but do not promise confidentiality
Two people sitting in chairs and talking


Whether you or a student broaches the topic, it is important to have privacy and some time without interruption.
  • Don’t minimize the problem or solve too quickly with advice.
  • Let the student express emotion (often it has been building/bottled up)
  • Ask if the student has found anything to help with the problem.
  • Inquire about their support network
BSU staff member talking with a student


  • The student situation may be beyond what you can address, but your support is still critical
  • Reassure student the decisions to seek/accept help is a wise choice and they are not alone
  • Offer to meet to ensure follow through
  • Refer to the CARE Team
  • If an emergency — DO NOT WAIT — call BSU Police at 508.531.1212 or 911

Distress Signals

Being aware of distress signals, ways to intervene, and resources will help you respond effectively to an individual who needs help. Take the signs of distress seriously, particularly if it is not normally characteristic of the person. You might be the one saving a life by being available at the right place and right time with the right resources.

  • Decline in grades
  • Repeated absences
  • Not doing homework
  • Multiple requests for extensions
  • Considering leaving school
  • Disruption to learning environment
  • Inappropriate or concerning content in assignments/presentations
  • Depression: crying spells, feeling sad more often than not
  • Anxiety: feeling tense, nervous, worried, panic attacks (could include PTSD)
  • Antagonistic to others, unprovoked anger
  • Impulsiveness, loss of self control
  • Confused speech or behavior
  • Hallucinations, delusions, paranoia
  • Overwhelming concern about finances, relationships, balancing multiple demands, etc. 
  • Changes in physical appearance, poor hygiene
  • Excessive fatigue, low energy
  • Agitated expression or movements
  • Excessive weight loss/gain
  • Bruises, cuts or other injury
  • Physical or verbal outbursts
  • Withdrawing socially, avoiding eye contact
  • Statements about death, dying, suicide, homicide, etc.
  • Physical violence
  • Sexual assault
  • Stalking and harassment of any kind
  • Intoxicated or under the influence
  • Threatening communication

Contact Us

If none of the linked pages above contain the resource that you are looking for, or you need assistance navigating this page, please contact the Division for Student Life office during business hours and we will assist you.

Division for Student Life

Boyden Hall, Rm 106
131 Summer Street
Bridgewater, MA 02325
United States